Hello Guest

Author Topic: New Install  (Read 206 times)

Offline ronybigsoc

• View Profile
New Install
« on: January 12, 2017, 07:19:14 PM »
I'm wanting to monitor if my network goes down. Do i install Pandora remotely in Azure, or put onsite and there is a feature that still notifies me if my local site goes down?
Thanks in Advance,

- rony

Offline ronybigsoc

• View Profile
Re: New Install
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 07:25:38 PM »
Maybe what I should ask first is:  How does a local server install of Pandora notify me if the internet goes down?
Thanks in Advance,

- rony

Offline antonio.s

• Administrator
  • Smart member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 12:38:13 AM »
Hello ronybigsoc,

There are two ways, you can do agent-based monitoring or agentless monitoring. In both cases the agents (azure servers) must be able to communicate with the Pandora FMS server (for agent based monitoring) OR Pandora FMS server should have visibility and be able to perform remote ICMP and SNMP checks against your servers. Obviously there must be that kind of communication because there is no magic behind :P.

Kind regards,
Antonio.

Offline ronybigsoc

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2017, 03:29:30 AM »
So...if I put the Pandora server local, then put a agent out there on an Azure Linux server on the west coast of US, the remote agent install will still notify me if my local pandora server loses internet?

I know I could use something like Anturis for knowing if my own company loses internet, but trying to see if I can eliminate that by using Pandora.
Thanks in Advance,

- rony

Offline antonio.s

• Administrator
  • Smart member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2017, 04:50:54 AM »
Hello ronybigsoc,

There are several considerations to keep in mind and different setups that could help you with your proposes.

1. The alerts are executed by the Pandora FMS server, not by the agents.
2. If you make a local installation of Pandora FMS and you only have 1 internet access (only 1 public IP), you can monitor that you don't have internet access, but you won't receive the email, since it is not possible to send it from a place that has no internet. So you would either need two internet accesses on that office, or a different alerting system like SMS.
3. If you make a cloud installation of Pandora FMS you can monitor the internet access of you offices in two different ways: first you can execute a ping against the public IP of your office, if it doesn't respond, then that office has no internet access; second you can install an agent inside of the office, if the internet goes down the agent WON'T be able to display a critical status since it won't be able to communicate with pandora server, and pandora server would display an "unknown" status, meaning connection with that agent is lost, so most likely internet is down. Combining these two options may be the best solution I think.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Antonio.

Offline ronybigsoc

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2017, 06:10:23 PM »
Antonio,

Thank you! That answers a lot. I totally get it.

Just to confirm though:  If I put the server off in the cloud, i do lose out on some things Pandora does do if local compared to offsite, correct?

I think the answer is yes, and leads me to put it local and setup a backup internet for it to notify if the internet goes out, but I await the expert answer.

Thanks in Advance,

- rony

Offline antonio.s

• Administrator
  • Smart member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2017, 04:14:22 AM »
Hello ronybigsoc,

Happy to help!
About your question, if you install your Pandora FMS server in the cloud, you won't be able to make (unless you grant network access/routing) remote checks against the servers/devices inside of your local network, because of no connectivity. Also, you will need to open tentacle protocol communication between the software agents installed on your local network and Pandora FMS server.

The thing is, it can be equally powerfull when installed on a cloud server, but you need to keep in mind the communications and protocols that it uses in order to not limit its capabilities. Since this may be a problem in most of the environments, I suggest you to install Pandora FMS on your local site.

A good setup that I suggest you:
- Install Pandora FMS on your local site.
- Grant a public access to Pandora FMS (can be secured).
- Install software agents on your different offices and cloud servers.
- Open comunications for tentacle protocol, so the agents can send the information to your Pandora FMS server thanks to the public access (and tentacle communications enabled) of your server.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Antonio.

Offline ronybigsoc

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2017, 10:03:26 PM »
Thank you for the info. I'm installing locally.
Thanks in Advance,

- rony