Hello Guest

Author Topic: First Impressions - Monitoring All Devices  (Read 125 times)

Offline techfixes

• View Profile
First Impressions - Monitoring All Devices
« on: January 04, 2017, 04:40:19 PM »
I have just fired up the PandoraFMS Appliance (installed from the ISO) and so far it looks really good.

But what confuses the hell out of me is how to add devices - the Workstations that I've installed Agents on are fine. But when I run a discovery it finds a bunch of Monitors, which seem to go nowhere. I can find them under "Monitors" but that's about it. I tried manually adding a printer to do a basic Ping Test. That didn't seem to be very successful either.

I really do believe this is a great product but until I can see all my devices in my Tactical View I'm kind of wasting my time :(

Offline antonio.s

• Administrator
  • Smart member
    • View Profile
Re: First Impressions - Monitoring All Devices
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 01:26:04 AM »
Hello techfixes,

To add a remote-monitored device, you can go to Views -> Agent detail. And here click on "Create agent" button, on the right bottom corner. Here you can specify some of the parameters, being the IP address the most important one. Once created you can come to this agent and add some remote "networkserver" modules such as "host alive". In order to work it should of course have connectivity between your Pandora FMS server and the device (you can double check this by executing ping against that IP from your Pandora's command line).

You can find all this information here: http://wiki.pandorafms.com/index.php?title=Pandora:Documentation_en:Remote_Monitoring

Thanks for the comment!

Kind regards,
Antonio.

Offline techfixes

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 03:11:55 PM »
Thanks for the response. I am evaluating products and it's unfortunate that I'm having to recommend other far less capable products over PandoraFMS simply due to the effort required in setting up. Otherwise it's a fantastically well rounded and capable product.

I don't quite understand why you can run a Network Discovery but not do anything with the results or add them to your main view...

Does the Enterprise Edition have any improvements in this regard?

Offline antonio.s

• Administrator
  • Smart member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 01:55:35 AM »
Hello techfixes,

When you run an autodiscovery task, you can assign a monitoring template to it, so all the new discovered devices are automatically created with the checks from the template you used. This includes all kind of remote checks such as ICMP, SNMP, WMI... as far as the devices respond and are compatible with those checks.
This is different from manually creating the agent and creating some individual checks (modules), so yes, you can set some default monitoring for all the autodiscovered devices. You can find additional information about it here: http://wiki.pandorafms.com/index.php?title=Pandora:Documentation_en:Templates_and_components#Module_Templates

The Enterprise version has in fact some major improvements on this respect. Take a look at the policies here: http://wiki.pandorafms.com/index.php?title=Pandora:Documentation_en:Policy

Kind regards,
Antonio.