Hello Guest

Author Topic: Automating the monitoring of Virtual Machines  (Read 50 times)

Offline stonerd@longwood.edu

• View Profile
Automating the monitoring of Virtual Machines
« on: March 10, 2017, 08:38:19 AM »
Simple task... I add a vm to my cluster. I want PandoraFMS to automatically pick it up add it by OS to the appropriate email notification group and based on support tier add to critical 24/7 notification or non critical office hours only notification schedule.
Easy, right? Can anyone help point me in the appropriate direction?

Offline antonio.s

• Administrator
  • Smart member
    • View Profile
Re: Automating the monitoring of Virtual Machines
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 12:22:59 AM »
Hello stonerd,

To achieve that, I think the easiest way is to use the recon tasks (autodiscovery) on the network that you use to add vms to. You can schedule the execution periodically (let's say once a day) and it will be added automatically, OS should be automatically detected to, and also you can deploy a basic set of network checks to the vm. However is not possible to add the new discovered agent to different groups based on the OS (or anything), it is a fixed value you have to chose, and then modify it manually.

About the alerts, you will have to add them manually or by using the bulk operations (kinda manual too).

On the Enterprise version we have a VMware plugin that is able to make much more precise autodiscovery functions (it uses the Vcenter API), and use policies to deploy a pack of alerts, additional modules, etc. depending on the group or any other parameter you want to filter by.

Kind regards,
Antonio.